Frequently Asked Questions:

What Should I Do If…

Please note that Scholastic Standing Committee (SSC) and Honor Code are now part of the Office of Retention and Academic Support Services



I’m sick and need to miss class.

  • All enrolled students may utilize the University Health Services for medical issues
  • Contact your instructor directly to ask about the possibility of making up missed assignments/attendance
  • Faculty may have specific policies around missed work/exams. Please refer to the faculty and the syllabus of the course for clarification
  • If you will be needing to miss class for an extended period of time and/or you are having difficulty connecting with your instructors, contact your academic advisor/department and OSSA to discuss your potential next steps
  • OSSA can assist in providing academic notification to faculty on behalf of students


I’m not doing as well in my classes as I would like.


When are the deadlines for withdrawals and how may they impact me?

  • All students are encouraged to consult with their academic advisor or department before withdrawing from classes or the term
  • The deadlines for withdrawals during the semester and fees associated with these deadlines can be found here.
  • Full or partial withdrawals from the term may impact you differently. Some examples include, but are not limited to:
    • Financial aid– Please speak with a financial aid advisor or your graduate coordinator to discuss your options
    • Housing-Please speak to the Housing Information Office (for on-campus) to discuss your options
    • Visa status– Please speak to an International Center advisor to discuss your options
    • Academic standing
      • If you are an undergraduate student that has recently been reinstated, please consult the Scholastic Standing Committee at before withdrawing
      • If you are a graduate student, please consult with your graduate coordinator before withdrawing
  • If you are looking to request an incomplete, you must first talk to your instructors. Your instructor is the one to determine whether or not an incomplete is possible in a class, as well as the timeline for completing the work. Once your instructor has agreed on an incomplete, you will work with them on the criteria and deadlines to complete your coursework.  All students are encouraged to consult with their academic advisor or department before requesting an incomplete
    • Please note the guidelines for taking an incomplete for LSA and Engineering
  • If you would like further assistance, you can request an appointment in OSSA to discuss your options


I failed my first exam(s).

Consider utilizing the following resources to determine what to do next:


I have a grade grievance.

  • If there is justification to question the accuracy of an assigned grade, the student should first pursue the matter with the instructor. The responsibility for the assignment of grades is primarily that of the instructor and should be settled between the student and instructor whenever possible. Further pursuit of a grade grievance should be addressed with the instructor’s Department Chair. The final appeal at the College level is by petition to the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education or the Associate Dean for Graduate Education. For more information on this process, please visit the Bulletin’s grades and scholastic standing page here
  • If you would like further assistance, you can request an appointment in OSSA or your academic or department advisor to discuss your options


I am experiencing a mental health crisis.


I am experiencing a crisis (e.g. illness/death of family member, hospitalization, or a personal crisis).


I am seeking long-term mental health resources.


I am a graduate student looking to take a leave of absence (LOA).

  • You can begin by contacting OSSA and your department to discuss details around a leave of absence
  • You may find more information about taking a Leave of Absence through Rackham’s resources below:


I need health insurance. 


I am experiencing financial hardship.


I am an international student with questions about my visa or other concerns.


I have ADHD/anxiety/or another health concern and would like to know what accommodation options are available to me.


If you would like additional resources or have questions that are not listed above, you can always contact our office for more guidance or request an appointment to speak with someone!